Who is a Geriatric Care Manager?
A Geriatric Care Manager (GCM) is a health and human services specialist who helps families in caring for older relatives. The GCM is trained and experienced in an array of fields related to health care such as nursing, health administration, guardians and fiduciaries, etc. The Geriatric Care Manager is an experienced guide and resource for families of older adults and others with chronic needs, helping loved ones attain their maximum functional potential.
What is Care Management?
Geriatric Care Management provides care coordination that assesses a senior’s needs and preferences based on initial and ongoing assessments. Our professional Care Managers understand that clients, their families and other informal caregivers may experience a collapse in care when the primary caregiver is separated by distance or during transitions when care needs change. Transitions may occur during health crises, between health care entities or in changes in legal status, and are characterized by shifts in responsibility. Care Management works to address potential gaps in a senior’s life integrating medical, social, developmental, behavioral, educational, informational, social support systems and financial concerns. This is done in order to achieve optimal health, wellness or end-of-life outcomes.
What can a Care Manager do for me?
- Conduct assessments to identify potential gaps in a senior’s life and formulate care plans and provide solutions
- Screen, arrange, and monitor in-home help or other services, including assistance in hiring a qualified caregiver for home care
- Review financial, legal or medical issues and offer referrals to case specific specialists
- Provide crisis intervention
- Act as a liaison to families at a distance, overseeing care and quickly alerting families to problems – especially important when families are engaged in long-distance caregiving for a loved one
- Assist with moving an older person to or from a retirement complex, assisted care home, or nursing home
- Offer eldercare counseling and support
Why consider utilizing a Care Manager?
When considering whether or not to engage the services of a Geriatric Care Manager, you should evaluate whether you have the time, inclination, or skills to manage the challenges of geriatric care. If you are not sure, ask a trusted advisor to help you decide if an elder care expert may be helpful. Enlisting the participation of other family members when consulting a professional is a good way to build consensus on a solution.
Questions you may wish to consider:
- Are the problems that you or your loved ones face becoming larger and more complex than you can comfortably manage?
- Have other demands and responsibilities grown so that you are not able to provide the desired level of supervision and attention to your loved one’s problems?
- Are you concerned about lack of understanding and knowledge when it comes to important issues confronting seniors?
Where is Martha & Mary Care Management offered?
Martha & Mary Geriatric Care Management services are offered in a variety of settings, including at home, within care facilities or independent living establishments. Martha & Mary GCM headquarters is in Poulsbo on the Kitsap Peninsula, providing independent services throughout the West Sound.
When is Martha & Mary Care Management offered?
We support clients 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. Please contact us by calling 1.877.501.2233 or using the Contact Us tab at the top of this page.
Share this page